Friday 8 April 2011

Time travel

Back to NYC. Aaahhh....this is going to be hard to do, actually. I do miss it so. I haven't talked or thought too much about New York, for that very reason.


I believe I left off here, Radio City, the Rockettes etc. Next on our epic schedule of New York touring was the Staten Island Ferry.




Well actually I lie...for Dad it was a trip to The Intrepid, a big giant aircraft carrying ship thing that bobs about on something like 46th St and 12th Avenue (I just checked this and was correct...hey!) Full of planes trains and automobiles. Well actually not really, but it does have a Concorde jet, and lots of other moving cool hardcore things. THEN we met once again at the ferry terminal. It was a beautiful day, in fact it was just about a t-shirt day. So we set off on our lovely journey over the water. It was very gorgeous, cracking views of Lower Manhattan, a bit of Brooklyn, the Statue.







And when we arrived on the Island it was such a lovely day that we got some pizza (from a guy who positively delighted me...he was this big fat red-faced Italian bloke who looked like the epitome of the New York pizza oven maestros) and we sat on the benches on the waterfront watching a big ship go by, tres relaxing.


Daddy eating Manhattan, apparently.



Dad's shades: better on dad.









OH YEAH and today of course was really St. Patrick's Day, after we confused ourselves the day before wondering where all the green drunks were. So, the whole place was packed out and yes there was green everywhere...hats, jumpers, t-shirts, faces etc etc etc.

We swung by Times Square just in case for some reason the TKTS line was smaller today. Well, I couldn't tell you, because it was utterly heaving so there was no telling who was in line for what. Revelry was rife (and annoying) so I put on my best 'I'm a busy New Yorker, get the fuck outta my way' manner and ploughed on through. After years of wading through underage drunks and drunks of age who should've known better, we came out in the relative peace of the East Side: Madison, Park, Lexington Aves. After a lot of walking (and a stop at Starbucks which featured the dimmest barista I've ever seen - she managed to get not one single thing about my order right, yaaaay) we made our way to 59th St and 3rd Ave, where the Roosevelt Island Cable Car sets off.




Roosevelt Island is the skinny little island between the Upper East Side and Queens. It's mostly residential, with very little traffic. There's not much of note on the island itself but the cable car, I was promised by one Wave Bonardi (who I miss greatly), was something special. It costs the price of a subway ride, so if you have an unlimited Metro card, you're laughing.

Turns out Wave was right on the money. It felt fantastic to soar up through the skyscrapers and across the river, in the gorgeous sunshine. Apologies for the dodgy quality of some of these, I was working through grimy glass here.







What a beautiful day. We thoroughly wore ourselves out with large amounts of walking and parted with plans for breakfast the next day (New York does a damn good breakfast).

I don't remember what I did that evening. Oh wait yes I do I remember exactly. As it was St. Paddy's day, we decided to celebrate in true Irish style (despite the fact that none of us are Irish...well Wave is 1/4 I guess, that's why she celebrated properly.
So Joe bought beer and I bought a tub of 'Dublin Mudslide' Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

I also remember there were lots of v. drunk people in the garden.

CoughAdamPriceCough.

Anyhoo, that was Friday. And so the whirlwind tour of the Big Apple continues.

Peace and love and rock and roll
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

OH HI commenter!